Saturday, September 4, 2010

Something Divine

“To err is human, to forgive is divine.” Some things are very difficult to forgive and in some people’s opinions almost unforgivable. For a long time, I struggled to forgive the person who caused the accident that forever changed our lives. So in attempt to put the issue to rest I wrote the person an open ended letter, to a fellow human being I would like to offer some hope.

After many failed attempts to find the right words, below is the final draft:

To whom it may concern,

For the most part I forgave you a long time ago, but there were times when I would become angry when I passed the scene of the accident. For many years I could forgive the actual act, but had a hard time understanding how someone could not stop. I don’t mean to be blunt, just honest.

A few years ago, while driving with my brother-in-law, Ed, we drove through that intersection. When I became irritated Ed addressed the situation. He asked me why I was so upset since I didn’t know why the person kept going. There could be many reasons why the driver didn’t stop. Maybe they had trouble with the law or were under the influence or they were simply too scared to stop. All plausible answers might I add.

To my shame, I had thought you a coward and for that I apologize. Who am to judge? From that moment on I have sought to give you the benefit of the doubt. I choose to look for the good. It’s easy to say what I would have done had the shoe been on the other foot, but if I’m totally honest, I simply don’t know.

Yes, my future was dramatically changed from how I envisioned it, but I have chosen to accept the change and become better because of it. My hope is that you have been able to do the same. Someday I hope to meet you and be able to put a face to the person I have prayed for, for so long.

Sincerely with deepest hopes you can accept my forgiveness,

Swavel

“I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.” ~ Groucho Marx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, so true. Yes, I guess it easier to judge. thanks again for getting me to think and look at my own actions.