Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Going Deep

There is something you should know about me: I am a huge Miami Dolphins’ fan. My daughter and I even have a special cheer we do where we put on our ‘Dolphin fins”.

When I first became a Dolphin fan in the early seventies quarterback Bob Griese was my favorite player. He wore the number twelve, won two Super Bowls and on top of that he wore glasses just like I did. But, when he retired no one seemed to be able to fill the void.

In 1983 the Dolphins drafted Dan Marino and his famous quick release, but even then I still favored Griese. Although I loved the fact Marino could win games and throw the deep ball to the Marx brothers, for some odd reason I just wasn’t hooked. Maybe it was his was fiery and brash mannerisms or maybe the fact he wore the number thirteen. It took a few years, but in time he won me over. Since then, Dan Marino has become my all-time favorite player, but it has little to do with football. Here’s how he did it:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUNQ9rcs_3HfiErBVoJYt6i08-zA3A-WhQkWMThGAU5CsTW5lM4A

Family matters most to Dan Marino.  He is a father of six, who loves his wife and family well.  He and his family adopted twice from China just like my family and I.  Dan even has a daughter named Lia, just like I do. I always admire a man who shows compassion to the orphans. His love for family was best publicly evidenced when at his enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, his eldest son, Daniel, gave a touching induction speech for his dad.
 
Dan and his wife, Claire, have even started their own organization to help families whose children are diagnosed with autism. They did so because their son, Michael, was diagnosed with the condition at a young age and they decided to do something to help others struggling through the same diagnosis. Too many times when athletes and celebrities do badly they get noticed, but when they do something compassionate it tends to get sidelined.

Then there is a story I read about Marino when he was still playing for the Dolphins. I believe he and the Dolphins were in Chicago to play against the Bears and Dan took the time to be compassionate and go to a hospital and visit a sick, little boy. He could have chosen to be elsewhere, but he didn’t. The article left me with the impression that Dan wished to downplay his part in the visit and his wish was simply to raise the boy’s spirits.

Now, Dan Marino is not the only athlete who visits kids who are sick, but it was and is good to see someone of prominence who is not afraid to take the time to show a little tenderness.  In my opinion, Marino will not only be known as a Hall of Fame quarterback with that legendary quick release, but as a Hall of Fame dad and man who is not afraid to show his softer side. That in the end is what really won me over, because anyone can score touchdowns on the field, but not everyone can do it off the field in the game of life.

Although I have never had the privilege of being on the receiving end of a Dan Marino touchdown, his special brand of kindness and compassion has hit me right between the numbers, from someone who is going deep with his life.

Swavel

No comments: