Friday, September 21, 2012

Stumble forward

Welcome to my 100th entry. Today, in honor of this milestone, I would like to talk to you about the importance of stumbling forward.
 
We all stumble sometimes in life. There are even times when we trip over first base, like me and former minor league baseball player, Jeremy Brown, did. Brown, is the guy from the movie, “Moneyball,” who tripped over first base on his way to second base, thinking what he hit was a double, not knowing he had hit a homerun. What the two of us also have in common is that when we tripped we fell forward, in more ways than one. When I stumbled, in the spring 0f 2010, I tore my quad muscle. During the interim, when I was laid up from surgery a family friend, Judy, mentioned I should write a blog. Well the rest, as they say, is history.
 
 
Here are some other situations where stumbling forward is a good thing.
 
When it comes to family, we need to do whatever it takes to play our part well. I am the head of my household, a husband, and father of four. More days than not as a parent and a husband, I wonder if I am even close to doing anything positive for my family. But, I stumble forward doing my best anyway. Yet, I truly believe it is the most significant role I will ever get to play.
 
Just the other day, someone from work reminded me I was someone special because I was a dad. It is a huge responsibility wrapped in a privilege to be head of a family. Sometimes, it scares the tar out of me, when I think about it too long. However, there is nothing nicer than a hug and a “dad you’re the best” or my wife telling me how much she appreciates me. Even if isn’t entirely true all the time.
 
Recently, there was the time when my wife and I both stumbled forward together when God convinced us to adopt our youngest daughter, Lia, from China. I’ve said it before, but that was crazy. We had no finances, no resources, and no clue how to raise funds. We had faith in God though and when it comes to doing the impossible that is more than enough; in essence it is all that truly matters. We checked our inhibitions, sanity, and fears at the door on more than one occasion because we were scared out of our minds that we had gotten in over our heads. In the end, God performed a miracle and Lia just celebrated he ninth birthday, and first with us, just a week ago.
 
Currently, as well, our country is in the midst of trying to stumble forward. Sure, the good old USA has seen better days, but, I said this before and I stand by it, you would be hard pressed to find another country that comes close. We are beyond blessed to live in his country. If you ever doubt that America is the best country in the world, just leave for a week. You will come home hankering for some kind of food they don’t make over there or like me and my son, Jordan, you will come home with an unquenchable desire for root beer. 
 
Writing this blog has been like stumbling forward because in the past it was beyond difficult for me to write clearly and concisely. So subsequently, in the past, I would quit when things went awry. A key obstacle many authors face is writing something relevant instead of just talking about it. This, however, is a catch 22 because, although writers need to write, they also need to say something of interest. In my opinion, a good writer draws you into conversation, like the aroma of coffee at Starbucks does me, and leaves you with a warm, satisfied, glad you came by feeling when you are done.
 
It is my deepest desire and intention that this blog be an encouragement to you, even though certainly I am not Hemingway. Here is my motto I have posted on my blog from day one: Trying to make a difference as I stumble through life. I sincerely hope I have.
 
Remember that there is no shame in stumbling forward, the bigger shame is in not trying at all.
 
Swavel
 
 

No comments: