Monday, October 22, 2012

Deservingly So


Since the last article focused on men, this entry will deservingly so focus on women and the significance a good mother plays in our lives.
 
Some time ago, I was reading about a book President Obama’s mother wrote entitled, “'A Singular Woman'. It got me to thinking about one characteristic in several women I respect, that is present in all of them: there when you need her.
 
First, there is my wife, Amy. She is someone I love deeply and have watched up close now for over twenty five years. She is a defender, keeper of the castle, a don’t mess with my kids kind of mom. She is disciplined, loyal and has a keen sense of how to be resourceful and create something worthwhile on a limited budget. She is resilient and demands it of those she truly loves and holds dear. She will be skeptical at times of your motives, but supportive if you are willing to put in the time. She is not afraid to leave her comfort zone and or give up her life for her kids. She always seems to be: there when you need her.
 
Next is someone whom I have known since birth, my mom. She is an encourager and someone who wants the best for me. She used to read to me when I was young and throughout my life has always seemed to have time to listen to my troubles. When I was five, she was more than gracious to the man whose car I ran into, and never blamed him. My mom has a knack for making holidays and birthdays special. My dad and her still watch my kids once a week and more when needed. She, along with my dad, always came to all my games and special events. She always seems to be: there when you need her.
 
Then there is my neighbor and current landlord, Kass Detweiler. Mother of twelve, I knew her briefly when I was young and my parents lived in the house where I now reside. The best way to describe her is as a hope giver, because “if you don’t have hopes you don’t have anything”, she once told me. She was a pastor’s wife for over 50 years, where she developed excellent listening skills and the boldness to speak the truth. Not always right, but usually pretty close. What I love about Kass is she is willing to help you help yourself. She and her husband, Al, were all about giving someone a chance to make the most of their life. She wouldn’t do it for you, but she’ll give you a push in the right direction. For her kids, for my wife and I, and many countless others, she always seems to be: there when you need her.
 
Lastly, there is Mary, mother of Jesus.  Her love was emblematic of a mother: loyal, loving, always caring.  She was obedient, so much so that she became an unwed mother to fulfill the will of God, the Father. She lived in obscurity, poverty and often harsh surroundings. Not a complainer and very compliant to the truth. We know for a fact how she played such a key part in the Christmas story when she gave birth to Jesus in a lowly manger. The Bible also seems to indicate she was there for Jesus throughout His life.  She was definitely a there when you need her kind of mom, as she lay weeping at the foot of her son’s cross, as Jesus hung dying for our sins.
 
This is an understatement I know, but this truth can be said deservingly so, a good mom is there when you need her.
 
Swavel

No comments: