Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Everything's Cool

To discover the true character of a man, meet his son first.





On Saturday, March 16th, my wife and I along with our two daughters found ourselves just below the Mason Dixon line in a church lobby in Maryland. The event was a Casting Crowns concert.  Our purpose for being there was to represent two organizations that are associated with adoption and assist people who are interested in helping the least of these.  To put it lightly, I was out of my element and hoped to defer any tough questions to my wife who is much better at explaining when it comes to adoption details.  In the midst of my uncertainty, I met a young man named John Michael who went a long way toward easing my anxiety.

While my family and I were waiting for the doors to open John Michael introduced himself as the guy who would be overseeing us that evening.  He asked if we needed anything and mentioned he would be checking in periodically throughout the event.  Then, off the cuff, he mentioned that this dad was in the band.   However, he never clarified that his dad is Mark Hall, lead singer of the Grammy award winning band, Casting Crowns. In hindsight, he didn’t need to because his resemblance to his dad gave him away.

So, here is a young teenage guy, as tall as me with rosy red cheeks, great hair, a big smile and a walkie-talkie strapped to him like he was about to call in an air strike, taking care of business. When it comes to leading, I always felt it is best to show people what to do, rather than just tell them.  And this seemed to be the theory that John Michael subscribed to as well.  He had the booth already set up and stocked well before we got there and then afterwards helped us break it down in less than ten minutes.

Needless to say, the thing I remember most about him was the catchphrase he used when he would walk by me during the concert.  He would glance over at me and put one of his thumbs up in the air and say, everything cool?  To which I would put my thumb up and say, everything’s cool.

I am a firm believer that how children learn is more caught than taught.  Consequently when Mark Hall sent his son to represent him and the band I believe I caught a little glimpse of what God the Father did when He sent His Son, Jesus to represent Him on this earth.  Especially at Easter time it is great reminder that only through Christ and His death can we really, truly know God the Father.  Although I never did get to meet the lead singer of the band I did meet him indirectly, he sent a better example, his son.

Therefore, it is somewhat ironic that I will be sending my son, Jordan, indirectly to represent me on April 4th at another Casting Crowns concert to do the same thing I just did a weekend or so ago. I have no qualms that he will do just fine discussing with people and sharing adoption stories about his sisters who were adopted from China. My son, and I’m bragging here, is a fine, young man.

Jordan is a young man who just turned twenty two last week and who God has taught some life lessons not all of us have entrusted to our care. You see, about thirteen years ago my son nearly died in a car accident and at the very least should have been paralyzed, but by God’s grace is neither.  He currently attends a college in Texas in his fourth year and still beats his dad every year like a drum in our March Madness bracket.

But, at this special time of the year, I am reminded so fondly of how so many years ago when I held his precious life in my hands on March 21st, 1991.  It was a truly awesome gift that God had given to me.  To this day, I still remember how unworthy I felt as I realized that this little boy would carry my name and how I would have the privilege of spending every day with him till he was grown.  Hopefully, throughout the process, my wife and I have taught Jordan more good than bad.

Although I cannot speak for Mark Hall, as far as I’m concerned, if you really what to know me get to meet my son first.  With the embarrassing stories aside, which I’m sure Jordan has plenty of, odds are I’ll look better than I truly am

Easter is the perfect example of how to get to know the Father you must first meet Him through his Son.

Swavel

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Jordan is 22 now! Wow how fast time flies. :) Thank you for sharing this post with all of us today. It was really nice to read this in the beginning of my day. :)