Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Della's View

 
“The view from the point where we buried my sister is sublime.  I never saw a prettier place anywhere.” Brother of Della Mayers.

It was just a few years ago when I heard this phrase mentioned in reference to the Rhoads Opera House Fire that occurred on January 13th, 1908. Sadly, Della Mayers, the ill-fated play’s lecturer, and 170 others lost their lives in the tragic blaze.  Strangely I felt the need to find her.   So, whenever time permitted I set out on a mild pursuit of her gravesite, so I could witness this incredible view that gave her brother such great solace. 

Her body is laid to rest in Fairview cemetery in Boyertown, Pennsylvania where my grandfather is buried and only minutes from where I grew up and now live. However, no matter how often my wife and I tried to find her marker, the exact location eluded us. Often I would leave the cemetery wondering why I bothered, but now I think I know why: I was trying to find the sublime.

At the time of the tragedy Della was fifty one years old and resided in Colorado along with her husband, J.J. Mayers.  Her sister, the play’s author Mrs. Harriet Monroe, was having voice trouble and had persuaded Della to come east in her stead. As the story goes, since Mrs. Mayers was the lecturer she was positioned right near the projector where the fire accidently broke out.   It was said of her that she died valiantly trying to save others.   

Her husband so distraught over her loss could not bring himself to make the trip east to bury her. Consequently, her body now resides on a quaint, quiet hillside overlooking a town she only briefly knew.  Two of her brothers however made the trip and one made an eloquent observation that drew me in some hundred years later.

Thankfully, about four months ago, my wife and I found Della and the blissful view we had been promised.  Her brother was right the view is sublime, which by definition means awe inspiring and impressive.  And believe you me; nothing represents that better than Della’s life, death and her view.

Some things in life are worth finding if only for the view.

Swavel

 

No comments: