Friday, February 21, 2014

Truly Devoted


Unlike saccharin for sugar, there is no substitute in a child’s life for a father’s love and acceptance.

Hours before the Seattle Seahawks won their first Super Bowl on Feb. 2nd, 2014 I told my friend, Steve that for his sake I wished his team would win.  Hands down, Steve is the most truly devoted Seahawks fan I know, yet underneath it all he is actually more truly devoted to his dad. Let me explain.

Steve’s dad was Greek and knew nothing about American football.  However, Steve who had been in this country since age two was a big fan of the then four time Super bowl champions, Pittsburgh Steelers.  His hope for Christmas the in 1980 was a Steelers’ replica football helmet, similar to the game worn type.  So, he dropped the necessary hints and waited in anticipation that his dad would deliver the goods.

When Christmas day came Steve was psyched to find a helmet shaped box with his name on it under the tree. Nevertheless, when he opened the box he did not find a black helmet with a Steeler logo, but rather a silver one with a funny looking bird on it. 

Steve was faced with a real conundrum.  Either he could choose to remain a Steelers’ fan and display his disappointment hurting his dad or switch allegiance and cheer for a team he knew nothing about.

In his own words this is why he chose Seattle: As my 10-year-old self looked over at my dad in bewilderment, I will never forget the smile on his face. He was so proud of himself. He had gotten his boy the HELMET he wanted, not realizing that the COLORS on the helmet were significant.  That Seahawks helmet hangs in my garage today as a reminder that my dad's ignorance of the game was overshadowed by his love for his son.

Truly devoted goes both ways; it begins with the father showing the son and the son reciprocating it.

Swavel

 

No comments: