Thursday, July 31, 2014

Forward Motion

 
 
 
"Swift and resolute action leads to success; self-doubt is a prelude to disaster.” Joseph Addison

The word maybe might be the most allusive word in the entire English vernacular. Just saying the word tends to evoke doubt, instead of a straight answer it leaves the outcome to chance. 

Here’s a few examples:

-Maybe, due to times being so hard, I’ll lose my job?
-Maybe sometime soon I will get my act together?
-Maybe it was someone else’s fault?

-Maybe I should exercise more and eat healthier?

-Maybe I will finally catch a break and things will go my way?

-Maybe I should stop complaining so much and enjoy life more?

-Maybe today I will pull myself out of my funk?
-Maybe I will start taking responsibility for my actions?


The last question reminds me of a young man named Raymond, who I used to work with when I made sausage years ago.  One day while he was mixing a five hundred pound batch of sausage I saw a bag of seasoning standing directly behind him that he had neglected to add.  When I asked him if he had forgotten something, he shrugged his shoulders and sheepishly said, maybe?  His non-committal response only made me want to dump the seasoning on him.

That got me to thinking that instead of maybe living we should be exhibiting some forward motion. For examples, Columbus took a chance and discovered an entire new continent.  Peter used forward motion when he obeyed Jesus by getting out of the boat and walking on the water.  Moses, with God’s help, parted the Red Sea and then walked to the other side.  Abraham Lincoln was actively applying forward motion when he helped free the slaves.

 Even the fictional character, the Winter Warlock, in Santa Claus is coming to Town, put one foot in front of the other and switched from being bad to good.  And let’s not forget the one cut and run philosophy in football that Mike Shanahan invented that forces the running back to make up his mind and move forward gaining positive yardage.

There is a fine line between properly waiting and then there is hesitation fueled by doubt.   No one wants to be a fool and rush in where angels fear to tread.  On the other hand, no one wants to miss out on doing something significant with their life because they were afraid.

Forward motion simply sees an obstacle as part of the course and then scales over it.

Swavel

No comments: