Monday, November 24, 2014

Everyone Thankful




Complaining is easy, being thankful on the other hand is hard work.

The other night I was reminded of a cool phrase.  Just as I was about to give grace at a family gathering my wife reminded me of a prayer my brother-in -law gave once before a picnic.  All he said as he looked around was this, “EVERYONE THANKFUL?”  Everybody bobbed their head yes and with that he said, “AMEN.”

Three words, five seconds. Done.
 
As we approach the Thanksgiving season that question, “EVERYONE THANKFUL?”,  reminds me that my life should be answering  it.  Truly thankful should be defined by significant things that we cherish in our lives along with everyday niceties that make life more bearable.

So, here is my list of things/ people I am truly thankful for:
-          Those brave enough to pave the way for us, like the Pilgrims
-          Family: great wife, wonderful kids, loving parents and in-laws, and everyone else related to me that puts up with me.
-          More than enough food to eat
-          A house which is heated and shelters me from the cruel weather
-          A job that pays the bills
-          Lungs that fill up with air and a heart that beats
-          Vehicles that allow me travel near and far at my bidding
-          New slippers that keep my feet warm
-          Coffee with friends who speak truth into me
-          Others, who in their brokenness just like mine, force me out of my comfort zone.
-          A God who loves me despite how often I fail Him
-          A Savior who died for my sins

The list goes on and on, but the pervading thought is that of being thankful.  It is the best way to live.  Less people will avoid you and you will have more significant friendsYour smile will mean something and people won’t refer to you as fake or someone who is half hearted.  

So, as we prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving,  I believe the best way is to practice the art of appreciation.  In layman’s terms that means I should make an attempt to remember the good and focus less on the bad.  It also means I should live in such a way that my life honors those who have gone before and above all Almighty God.

Everyone thankful should be a way we all live every day, not just a short prayer we utter before we chow down.

Swavel

1 comment:

rwestgate said...

One of your best, Aaron. I just might read this for our blessing before the big feast on Thursday. Randy