Sunday, December 21, 2014

At The End



 


A true test of character is not how you respond when things go your way, but when they don’t.

We all like it when things work out the way we planned for them to go. Especially during the holidays many of us get frustrated with what we can’t control. For me, there are several traditions that help Christmas feel like Christmas.  Right or wrong, over the years I have acquired preferences for certain foods, certain movies and other traditions that help set the mood for the season. And sadly this can influence my attitude during the holidays.

For instance, years ago on Christmas Eve my wife and I were watching the movie, A Christmas Carol, on public television when something memorable happened.  The movie had five minutes left to go in it when Bob Cratchit, who was about to enter Scrooge’s counting house, suddenly disappeared into oblivion.  After a painful pause a documentary about a homeless person came on in the movie’s stead.  Flabbergasted we both sat there in shock waiting for the station to correct its error.  It never did come back on and we both went to bed with an empty feeling in the pit of our stomachs. 

Hard lesson to learn, but even at Christmas time things don’t always work out the way we would like. However, if we are looking for the right things we should be less likely to be disappointed.

So, here are 5 important things I suggest we should try to look for this year during Christmas:

1- At the end of the Christmas meal I should be glad for the dirty dishes because that means I did not spend the day alone
2- At the end of the gift opening may I be glad for each smile a gift brought.
3- At the end of the family gatherings may I remember the air of happiness hidden by the hustle and bustle of the busy day.
4- At the end of the day, or well before then, try to reflect on the real reason for the day, being Jesus’ birthday.
5- At the end of the night as we turn off the Christmas lights try to enjoy the silence of a full and complete day.

Funny thing I discovered about A Christmas Carol being cut short was that now my favorite part of the movie is those last five minutes.  In those waning moments every year I am reminded that right now is the best time to make rather merry, despite whether things are going my way or not.

At the end of Christmas and at the end of .our lives may we be defined by the love we gave?  

Swavel

No comments: