Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Having A Moment



Every man dies.  Not every man truly lives.  William Wallace
 
We all get misty sometimes.  Especially, when we think of what might have been. It’s OK to have a moment and cry and miss someone or just be sad.  Then take that memory, make it smile and go forward in your life.

Here are two recent personal examples of having a moment:

Example A- 

Just the other day I saw what might have been.  It was a Saturday morning and we needed milk for cereal, so I drove to the local gas station to get some.  It was with milk in hand that out of the corner of my eye I saw a young girl in her early twenties.   She was nicely dressed with a white blouse, bright blue belt, matching purse and a plain ankle length skirt.  Something, in an innocent way, seemed familiar about her. 

Then as I got into my car to leave I saw her fueling up her car, which was an older foreign model.  Who knows where she was going, just starting her day off or setting out on an adventure?    It made no sense why this young girl in her twenties, had caught my attention.  Then, it hit me, she reminded me of my daughter, Alisha, who would have been about her age, if she were still alive. 

 So, as I drove by the girl in the bright blue belt and purse I smiled to myself, remembered my daughter and had a moment.  Not angry, just reflective.  Personally, I was happy to see others making their way in the world and content to know my daughter is safe in the arms of Jesus.  Till that great day when I can hold her again, I will try to keep taking one day at a time.  Just like the girl at the gas pump, as she treated life like a big adventure, moving ever forward.

Example B- 

This was one of those tear jerking occasions I saw coming, but refused to get out of the way. This past October my niece, Erica, asked me to join her in the father-daughter dance at her wedding.  Her dad had died in 2009 and could not fulfill his privileged obligation and my daughter, who I would never get to dance with, had died when she was seven.  We both knew it wouldn’t be easy, not to mention my dancing skills are awful.  However, to not dance would be us not making the most out of a difficult situation.  Love for my niece and wanting her to have a good memory on her wedding day made me try regardless of the outcome.

Out on the dance floor, despite my two left feet, something wonderful was transpiring.  When the song, You’ll Be in My Heart from the movie Tarzan, played I began to cry, even though I knew it was coming. These were the last words I had sung to my daughter before she died, because it was her favorite song. Then, my niece began to cry. 

Halfway through she even offered to let me off the hook, but the moment needed to be had.  I apologized for my lousy skills and she reminded me her dad was a white guy who couldn’t dance either.  Then something magical happened, we began to laugh and eventually smile. As I turned her round and around in circles, I was hoping the song would end so we could stop crying and at the same time hoping it would last a bit longer.  As it ended I kissed Erica on the cheek, said something mushy and disappeared into the crowd, so I could be alone with my thoughts.

Life is seldom fair.  However, that evening I learned this, healing begins by crying, eventually turns to laughter, and ends in a smile, if you let it. 

Having a moment to honor those we love is natural; just don’t waste your life wallowing over what might have been.

Swavel

No comments: