Friday, July 31, 2015

My Eulogy


Strange, but I think it wise to plan ahead for one’s death, so the following is what I would like done and read when I am dead.

- If at all possible, I would like my funeral service held at the graveside of where I will be buried.

- If feasible, I would like the article, BETTER THAN BACON, printed in my funeral bulletin.  It is included for your convenience directly below my name.

- Preferably, I would like my son, Jordan, to read My Eulogy.



MY EULOGY
   :)

We all die someday, best to leave evidence of a life well lived behind us.

To those I have known and loved,

If you are reading and or hearing this, My Eulogy, I am no longer here. To be honest, I’m not surprised.   I knew it was coming, like it is for all of us.   My expiration date has come due and my new address is in Heaven with Jesus. Not of my doing, but all His, woo-hoo for me!

In my honest estimation, there is way too much confusion at funerals. Throughout my lifetime, I have been to my fair share of funerals and have heard plenty of eulogies, where other people say what they think you believe or add in their own ideas.  Then they tend to remember the best about you, true or not, full of much emotion, and perhaps even cry.  Then they leave and eventually as life continues go on about life.  However, for me I think God wants people to know what I was about and I better have been about His business or else I was wasting my time on this planet.

The toughest thing to handle about death tends to be is that it is so final. The following are some profound lyrics written by Steven Curtis Chapman that convey my sentiment regarding my death:  I’ll SEE you in a little while, I’ll SEE you in a little while. It won’t be too long now. We’ll SEE it on the other side, the wait was only a blink of an eye.  So I’m not gonna say goodbye, cause I’ll SEE you in a little while.  No need to worry, I will see you again, if you know Jesus that is and we’ll catch up on things then.
  
To me, our bodies are a lot like a plastic Wal-Mart bag that carries our soul for as long as it can and then sadly wears out.  Paul tells us in the Bible that, we brought nothing into this world & it is certain that we can carry nothing out. When we die we will travel light when we meet our Maker.  Remember, the only thing that ever truly mattered anyway is what we have done with and for Jesus while we were here. 

So, that’s it. If you are interested in other thoughts that God impressed on me feel free to read my blog, PERHAPS.  Most specifically the article called Whoa Moments from April 14th, 2014. Till we meet again, walk with Jesus, get to know Him and then share Him with everyone you meet.

My eulogy is only a record of what I did with my life and I pray that when God does the editing it will make sense.

Swavel

***********************************************************************************************************
Here is what I want in the bulletin
Better Than Bacon


In my final words, I want to impress on you the need to be right with God.



Image result for bacon


Make sure your exit strategy for eternity is undersigned by Jesus.

A little while ago, my family and I flew into Texas for my son’s graduation.  It was there at the hotel check-in counter I had an epiphany.  As the manager handed my credit card back to me she made mention of complimentary breakfast and then she uttered this profound thought:  bacon on Monday

The words hung in the air like I had just won the lottery, because who doesn’t love bacon?  Especially the free kind and nothing would be better than bacon on our last day before a long flight home to Pennsylvania.

Needless to say the bacon was alright, but in many ways it sounded better than it actually tasted.   It got me to thinking that so many of us are living our lives, me included, like how we make and eat bacon, leaving a greasy mess.  Many of my relationships, and how I do things when I do my own thing, leave a lot to be desired.  Consequently, I have left a lot of smudges.

Come to think of it, so many of us are so set on doing our own thing and when we get what we want, like that bacon, we are disappointed.  Simply put, heaven is better than anything we can come up with on our best day, even bacon.

Here is my exit strategy on how to live life, while trying to avoid the smell of the bacon, better known as the cares of this life:

Pursue Jesus so closely that you have to hang on to His shirt tail, so that all you can see is Him.  Similar to when I take off my glasses and wander down the halls at work, while I just keep following the florescent lights overhead.  It never fails; I always end up at one of those bright orange exit signs leading me to the way out.

Truth be told, no one gets out of this life alive: we all die.  Therefore, we all should have an exit strategy when it comes to death, so as to make the most of each precious day we have.

Meeting Jesus is so much better than bacon that you’ll forget it was even an option.

Swavel   

No comments: