Thursday, November 19, 2015

Let Go



 Image result for fishing boats leaving harbor

Though much is taken, much remains- Ulysses 

There are just some things that you don’t outgrow, like that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.  

A few weeks ago, I was told that I was being let go at work.  I had known it could happen, but like so many of us, I just hoped it wouldn’t happen.  In my case, it was just a business decision to cut costs, nothing personal. However, when I was told my services were no longer needed I got that terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. 

Funny thing is that I thought I would feel nothing but mere elation to know the bumpy ride was over.  However, instead I felt melancholy, like I was no longer wanted or needed.  Emotions are a strange thing, try as you might, they cannot be controlled.

You can say or sing, like Elsa from Frozen, LET IT GO, but in reality it isn’t that easy.  However, facing uncertainty is a part of life.  Feelings fade and one must take a deep breath and keep moving forward, despite the hurt and uncertainty. 

Another way to counteract adversity is to sail your ship in positivity.  Which happens to be a favorite quote of mine taken from the movie, Alexander’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day.  This also happens to remind me of the last birthday card my grandfather bought for me on my thirteenth birthday, weeks before he died.  Strangely enough, on the front of the card it had a picture of fishing boats leaving a harbor. 

The encouragement that I take from that card and phrase is that despite the difficult weather I must leave the dock and venture out into the unknown. 

To let go and move forward is always the better option than to stand pat and remain bitter.

Swavel

No comments: