Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Most Costly




Some phrases bear repeating, just simply because they do.

It just isn’t truly Christmas for me, till I sing, IN EXCELIS DEO.

This catchy phrase is from the Christmas hymn, Angels We Have Heard on High.  It is a song that I have sung since I was a child and in my late teens was taught by my choir director to sing it as In Ex-SHELL-is Deo.  Still do it to this day.  But, for all the heartwarming memories, I never really knew much more than it just sounded really majestic to sing this glorious old tune.

So, now I decided to dig deeper and find out what In Excelis Deo really does means.  According to dictionary.com, the origin is Latin and literally means Glory to God in the Highest and the English version is Glory be to God on High.  This makes sense because it sounds like a profoundly moving declaration that angels would proclaim about the Almighty God. 

With that being said, allow me to give you my take that I just recently discovered about In Excelsis Deo.  About a year ago I heard Angels We Have Heard on High, sung by the group, Mercy Me. Halfway through the song they sung a new verse that went like this.  How could Heaven’s heart not break, on the day that you (Jesus) came.  Salvation’s reason to celebrate, on the day that you (Jesus) came.

I get it now.  God gave up His Son, Jesus, something most costly, given as a gift to all mankind, so that we all might truly live.  Well, at least so we could all have the opportunity to do so.  An act that must have hurt God deeply to do so.

So, now when I hear In Excelsis Deo, it reminds me that angels were proclaiming with joy and sadness how great our God truly is and how much He loves us.

The most costly gifts, the ones given from the heart, are always the best.

Swavel

No comments: