Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Favorite Neighbor

Image result for mister rogers

In celebration of my neighbor Kass' home going to Heaven, on July 13th,  I took the liberty to re-post this same  article I wrote about her fascinating life two years ago.  If only to keep her memory alive for just one more brief, glorious moment.

A good neighbor is someone who makes you feel welcome at all times.

Undoubtedly, Kass Detweiler is who Mr. Rogers had in mind when he said, “won’t you be my neighbor?”  To make a long story short, allow me to introduce you to my favorite neighbor.

Here are the basic facts:

Kass Detweiler and her husband, Al, have twelve children.  Three were born to her, nine were adopted.  Kass was a Pastor’s wife in a church in Allentown and then they moved to Boyertown where she now resides as my landlord for the last twelve years.  She and Al we instrumental in founding Spruce Lake Wilderness Camp in Canadensis, PA, a Christian retreat center.  Kass and Al were married over fifty years when Al changed his address to Heaven in 2005.  Kass loves the yard mowed once a week and I believe in Heaven, her yard will look immaculate. 

Here are a few stories:

Kass is a giver.  Often when I call Kass on the phone, it is to ask for eggs or milk or sugar or soy sauce or lawnmower money.  Whatever it is, this is how I start the conversation: “Hey Kass, this is your favorite neighbor.”  She always laughs, “So I hear, how I may help you?

Kass doesn’t sugarcoat the truth.   When I was about four, I used to live next to Kass and Al, but I don’t remember much about it.  However once out of the blue, Kass clued me in on how I was as a kid. She said that I was a snotty nosed kid who was always wiping my nose.  Just Kass calling it the way she sees it. 

Kass treats my kids like her kids.  All my kids have had or still do have their picture on her bulletin board in her house where her family pictures hang.  This reminds me of the time my wife and I took Kass to our son’s high school graduation, where he was salutatorian.  After his moving speech, Kass, who was sitting next to me in the audience, turned to me and not so quietly said something like this, “I couldn’t hear a thing,” she said, “but I’m sure it was great.”  That night Kass taught me how just being there for someone is the best way to show you truly care.

No one can pray like Kass.   In June of 2012, we were in China and were adopting our youngest daughter.  However, we were having a tough time adapting to the time zone, culture, and just feeling lost.  Not to mention, the threat of a typhoon right as we were about to leave.  So, we called Kass in the middle of the night more than once and she prayed with all heart.  I swear that Kass Detweiler has a direct line to God and that He takes what she has to say into consideration.  No one else I know can use the word “crappy” in a prayer and get away with it. 

Kass is full of wisdom.  She once told me a story in regard to dying.  “Just like a parent has to call a child in from playing so he can eat supper, God the Father is not being ugly when you die and He calls us home.”  As she would say, like only Kass can, “It’s just time to come in.

Here is the conclusion:

One day I believe that our kind and generous heavenly Father will bring us together once again.  And off in the distance I will hear, like only Kass Detweiler can exclaim, "Look who it is, it’s my favorite neighbor, how may I help you?"

To be a favorite neighbor, one must act the part.

Swavel

No comments: