Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Courage Defined

Courage can best be summed up in six words: Make a statement, take a stand. To find courage I believe it is important to imitate it and who better to replicate than former British Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill.

He was born in 1874 and died in 1965 leaving behind him a legacy of famous quotes that few have equaled. From his trademark hat, bow-tie, and ever-present cigar there was just something about Churchill you had to respect. No one could deliver a speech like Churchill.

Though up until World War II, public opinion had labeled him as one who lacked judgment, stability, and many found him to be untrustworthy. All that would change when Adolf Hitler and the German Nazis came knocking on Great Britain’s doorstep. History has recorded that Churchill and Great Britain not only survived but flourished, in large thanks to his ability to rally the troops and nation.

In my personal opinion, here are the words that best sum him up taken from a speech he made in 1941:

“Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

We all experience discouragement from time to time. For me personally, I had a long period of depression to the point of despair, where life had gotten the best of me and it appeared I had quit trying. But, when I finally took my eyes off the ground and started to look up I realized I was focusing too much on the pain. In an effort to regain my courage, I gave up feeling sorry for myself and stopped thinking about myself. Courage demands we think about others first, put on a brave face and make a stand regardless of how we bad we feel or how bad the situation looks. So now I have adopted a new philosophy: Pain, like evil, must never triumph.

“It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required.” ~Winston Churchill

Swavel

No comments: