Saturday, July 3, 2010

Mad as a Hornet

There are just some things in life that are blatantly obvious, such as never skydive without a parachute, never spit in the wind, and never disturb a nest of angry hornets. If you choose to disregard the last friendly word of advice, the outcome can be extremely painful. I know from experience.

During my time as an exterminator, I was at a customer’s house and there was a large hornets’ nest in a difficult to reach spot. So, I began spraying them from about thirty feet away, thinking I was safe. However, much to my dismay, one of the hornets followed the stream of spray right back to me and stung me right on the cheek, to be precise, the one I sit on. It must have looked hysterical as I jumped into the air and fled into the nearby bushes. Come to think of it, the reason I was stung was because I was in a hurry and didn’t wear protective gear. Dumb gets you stung.

In an effort to avoid such confrontations, you must be familiar with the bald faced hornet. This angry menace is black with a white face similar to a wasp or yellow jacket. Their nests come in football or basketball type shapes, the texture of papier-mâché, and are gray-ish in color. Often hornets attach their nests to sides of houses, buildings, and tree branches. They begin making nests around the fourth of July and often they stay active until the first frost. By nature, these hornets are protective of their nest and when they feel threatened will sting hard and often.

Speaking from experience, I recommend you hire a professional instead of doing it yourself. If you insist on going it alone, make sure you treat the nest at night, follow the instructions on the can, soak the nest thoroughly, and then run for the hills. Whatever you do, don’t stand there to admire your work.

To my discredit, sometimes I become as mad as a hornet. So, I’m talking just as much to the man in the mirror. When something angers you, take a deep breath and stop. Just stop. Anger is a split second decision but it is still a choice; no one can force us to be angry. We need to recognize it, show restraint, and walk away. Perhaps, this Chinese proverb says it best, “If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.”

Swavel

No comments: