Monday, August 23, 2010

Heaven Applauds

If there were Olympic medals for listening, I wouldn’t even make the team never mind the podium. As far back as I can remember, my teachers would often comment on my tendency to daydream. There are moments, though, when my interest is captured by a specific event. I realize it may sound bizarre, but birds’ singing, especially in the morning, is one such event. Once you hear my rationale, you may better understand.

It was around 6 AM, on May 4th, 2000. The worst had happened, Alisha had just passed away and yet miraculously my wife and I were still breathing. We drove from the hospital to the Ronald McDonald House and pulled into the driveway completely shattered. All our hopes and dreams for Alisha’s life vanished in an instant. Her smile, her hugs and kisses, her giggle, her amazing personality would be forever locked in a picture frame or relegated to a video. Our interaction would be permanently severed.

As I turned off the car, it felt like I was turning off Alisha’s life. We felt helplessly out of control, then ‘it’ happened. The sound was amazing. Much to our surprise we witnessed a vast chorus of birds sharing a magnificent melody as they soared through the sun-kissed sky. God had sent us an extraordinary message to show us we were not alone. In that one brief moment, the Creator of the Universe comforted us as Heaven applauded.

It was around 6 AM, on March 21st, 2009, my wife called to tell me my brother-in-law had passed away at the age of thirty-eight. I refused to get out of bed, perhaps thinking I wouldn’t have to face it, but long before I made it to my big bay window there was that long familiar song. It was the enthusiastic sound of birds singing their unforgettable chorus. I had no words, just tears of pain for those of us left behind yet tears of joy for my brother-in-law because he was free and Heaven was applauding.

I now seem to hear the birds more clearly, because there was a time when I simply wasn’t listening. Perhaps while you’re going about your morning routine, you can spare a moment to listen for the birds. You may be surprised at the beauty they offer.

“Every time the birds sing Heaven’s melody is revealed to mankind.”

Swavel

No comments: