Saturday, August 7, 2010

Ice In My Cup

You always remember the first time you bring your child home. Whether it be from the hospital or in my case from China. Birthdays remind me of great moments like these. Since, it is my second daughter’s eighth birthday today, the girl who loves me more than Narnia, I am dedicating this article to her.

The first time I met Sianna I was happy. I was glad God gave me my girl.

These are the words my daughter wanted me to start with when I wrote a story about her a few year ago. Her biggest concern seemed to be what I was thinking when I first met her. I just wanted to put her fears to rest and let her know I loved her and was happy she was my daughter long before I met her. The following is from that story.

On February 26th, 2003, the first day I saw my daughter, she was born in my heart. The first day I held her was June 2, 2003. At that moment, nothing else mattered; not the time we missed, not the miles traveled, or the time we had to wait. It all faded away. From the moment I embraced her in my arms, my heart was smiling.

As we headed home from our journey, all the problems of life felt far away. As I peered out the window with my wife and new daughter beside me, I took in the view. I was caught up in the breath-taking scenery as the clouds danced and raced against each other. All the while, I was enjoying the thought of bringing my daughter home to meet her brother.

Then the stewardess passed me a cup of soda with ice in it. Sitting there with the beverage in my hand only enhanced this serene moment. When I had finished my drink, the ice sitting in the bottom of the cup brought a smile to my soul. Normally leftover ice doesn't seem signficant, but as I looked at it on that particular day it signified something more. It reminded me of how God does not owe us the opportunity to have children, just like ice, they are a bonus. But children, like ice, certainly make life more enjoyable.

“The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning." Sianna’s favorite quote from Narnia

"Everyone's got to be for a child to have a home and love. I mean I don't know anyone who would be against that." ~Dave Thomas

Swavel

No comments: