Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Crooked Logic

Ever find yourself going back in time? It happens to me every year when I get the Christmas decorations out of the shed. The whole experience always makes me get all nostalgic. It seems to me we all have our favorite decorations that make Christmas, well Christmas for us and until we find said items the festivities cannot truly begin.

In our family my youngest daughter has her Hallmark China Christmas ball, my son has various Chicago Bears ornaments, and I have a homemade snowman from a childhood friend. But, my wife has a special candy cane we always must locate before anything can really begin. Allow me to explain.

Several years ago, I came home one December day to find my six-year-old, eldest daughter had been out Christmas shopping and had selected a unique gift for her mom. Alisha was so proud of the lawn ornament sized candy cane she had purchased that despite the persistence of her brother and I refused to exchange it for a more suitable gift.

When Christmas arrived my wife opened her gift from our daughter as I snickered and smugly opened a can of chips Alisha had given to me. At the time, I appeared to have the more appropriate gift. As it turned out six months later, our daughter, Alisha, at the age of seven would change her address to Heaven.

Each year I am reminded as I look at the candy cane, that hangs in our house in a place of prominence, that the most unlikely gifts truly hold the most eternal significance. God, like the shepherd's cane, seems to use crooked logic to remind us what is most important during the Christmas season, His son, Jesus. It truly is the best gift that we could ever give or receive; yet so often to our discredit we would rather receive a can of chips.

Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift.” 2 Corinthians 9:15


Swavel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome message, Aaron! Thank you for sharing it with us. =)