Monday, November 29, 2010

It Still Rings True

When it comes to being thankful, I need look no farther than my left hand when I catch a familiar glimpse of my wedding ring. I have worn a gold band proudly for twenty-one years and can never recall a day I have not worn it. To me, it is a reminder of a commitment to my wife that I will remain true.

Several years ago a car commercial by Hyundai was asking, why commitment doesn’t play a larger role in our lives? They flashed a picture of a bride onto the screen and said, “If you don’t like your spouse, get a new one.” Quite frankly, I don’t know why our culture places such a low priority on commitment. Perhaps it stems from the fact that we tend to be a microwave society and want everything immediately.

Here is my synopsis on marriage. The stats, from what I can gather, tell me one in two marriages will end in divorce. That is a flip of the coin. Marriage is a risk, like playing the stock market. So in my case, I am going to fully invest in my marriage. My wife and I have buried a child together and buried the hatchet on several other occasions. We have survived the worst and have grown through it.

One of the best moments of my life, was when my wife came down the aisle. Over time I have realized every day I am given a gift from God to love my wife a new, just like He loves me. How can I show her mercy, grace, love and listen to what she is really trying to tell me. Huge task I know, but that is what I agreed to when I put on my gold ring and that is why it takes a lifetime to complete.

During this Thanksgiving season, I will give thanks for the one woman who slipped a special ring on my finger, some twenty years ago. It will take death to remove it and in my case, weight loss.

“What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility.” ~ Leo Tolstoy

Swavel

No comments: