Thursday, February 17, 2011

Undeniable Bond

There is an undeniable bond that exists between a father and his son. When the son really needs his father to do something, he simply does it. So when my son sent me a text asking me when I was going to update my blog, I felt obligated to start again.

History backs me up on the fact that when a son needs his dad, he’s there for him.

For example, during the 1992 Summer Olympics a son and his father accomplished something far better than winning a gold medal. Derek Redmond came into the games representing the USA favored to win the 400 meters until fate intervened halfway through the event. As he attempted to turn the corner, he tore his hamstring and fell to the track in agony. Refusing to give up, he got back up and began to valiantly hop toward the finish line. His dad then appeared putting his arm around his son holding his weight while they walked together. His father only released him so he could then finish the final few meters for himself. Derek and his father reminded me of that undeniable bond and how a dad knows what he must do.

Who can forget the time in the 1980 Winter Olympics as the USA Men’s Hockey Team stunned the favored Russians in what we now refer to as, “The Miracle on Ice”. But bigger than the upset, I remember the goalie, Jim Craig, being draped in the American flag after the team won the gold medal, mouthing the words, “Where is my father?” The significance being, Craig had depended on his father for the previous three years after his mom had died and now in his greatest moment as an athlete, he needed to share it with his dad. Even in victory, a son desires his dad’s shoulder to lean on, to be accepted by the person he respects most.

Lastly, in my own personal life, although I was never an Olympian, star athlete, or a celebrity, my dad was there for me when I needed him. Whether he was supporting me by coming to my ballgames with my mom, offering to take my place when I was seriously ill, or telling me he was proud of me when I needed to hear it most. My dad has proved to be someone I can rely on when I need him most.

So, this is for you, Jordan, I will do my best to be a shoulder to lean on and a writer who can offer support, even when I don’t know exactly what you might need.

It is a wise father that knows his own child.”

My son’s dad, Swavel

No comments: