Tuesday, December 25, 2012

My Christmas Playlist-Part 1



 In keeping with the festive spirit of the holiday season I would be honored to share with you my twelve most favorite Christmas songs. So, without further adieu, here is My Christmas playlist:

Song # 12-WE THREE KINGS as performed by the piano guys


This is my favorite hymn I enjoy singing in church because it has a somewhat regal feel to it. This rather solemn tune was written by a reverend in 1857 that I can sing without embarrassing myself

Favorite line: “guide us to thy perfect light.”

Song #11-HARK THE HERALD ANGELS SING as performed by Carrie Underwood


It’s just not Christmas until this classic is sung. Written originally by Charles Wesley in 1739, however it took three other men and over a hundred more years till it become the piece we traditionally sing today. It is a song so synonymous with Christmas that it is featured in three of the most classic Christmas specials of all time: Charlie Brown Christmas, the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol and It’s a Wonderful Life.

Favorite line: “Mild he (Jesus) lays his glory by, born that man no more may die.”

Song #10-MARY DID YOU KNOW as performed by Kenny Rogers and Wynonna Judd


Thought I would include this one because it is one of my wife’s favorites. It was written in 1984 by Christian comedian, Mark Lowry who wrote it for his church play that year. This song epitomizes what Mary could have thought while she was holding the baby Jesus on that first Christmas. Like a modern day Silent Night it makes you reflect about the true meaning of Christmas.

Favorite line: “This child that you've delivered will soon deliver you.”


Song #9-HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS as performed by Burl Ives


How can you go wrong with something so upbeat that begs you to dance and sing along? Written in 1964 by composer Johnny Marks it became famous when it was featured in the animated Christmas special, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, which he wrote as well. Who else but Burl can get away with using the word holly jolly, all the while making it timeless.

Favorite line: “say hello to friends you know and everyone you meet”


Song # 8- THE CHRISTMAS SONG as performed by Johnny Mathis


This song fondly reminds me of my youth when during the Christmas season my mom and I would set the table together as this tune would play in the background. The most unique thing about this song was it was written by Mel Torme’ in 1944 during a blistering hot summer in an effort to think cool. For my liking, Johnny Mathis’ distinctive vocals soothe my soul and put me in the mood for Christmas as he croons effortlessly about chestnuts roasting on an open fire.
Favorite Line : "Although it's been said many times, many ways, Merry Christmas to you."


Song # 7: SANTA LOOKED A LOT LIKE DADDY as performed by Buck Owens.


This particular odd favorite came from a cassette tape my dad made about fifteen years ago. My most cherished memories of this song are of my eldest daughter and my dad singing it non-stop whenever they were together during December. Long before country legend Buck Owens was the quirky host of Hee Haw, he wrote this song in 1965 with his trusted guitarist, Don Rich. Great thing about this relatively unknown song, you can’t sing it out of key to it.

Favorite line:“Santa looked like daddy or daddy looked like him, it's not the way I had him pictured, Santa was a much too thin.”

Song # 6: LINUS AND LUCY as performed by the Vince Guaraldi Trio



This is my favorite Christmas tune I can’t help but hum along to during this time of the year, no matter where I might be. Jazz musician, Vince Guaraldi came up with this catchy piece for the Charlie Brown Christmas special. Funny thing was that the network executives did not like this song or the other renderings at all, but fortunately the public did. My favorite scene is the one when the Peanuts’ gang is supposed to be acting in the play and instead is dancing to this tune. Sadly, the kids ‘style of dancing is far superior to my own lack of rhythm, so I must stick to humming.

Favorite dance move: The sleepwalking one performed by the kid in the green shirt known as Shermy.

Song # 5: LITTLE DRUMMER BOY as performed by Johnny Cash.


This song comes from my childhood when my brothers and I would listen to one of my dad’s old Johnny Cash vinyl records and just couldn’t get enough of those pa-rum-pa-pum-pums. This particular favorite was written in 1941 by American composer and teacher Katherine Kennicott Davis. For my money, it best sums up how we all should see Christmas, that being through the eyes of a child.

Favorite line: “ I played my best for Him(Jesus). Then, He smiled at me, me and my drum.”

That concludes my list for now. I’ll be back soon with my top four favorite Christmas songs. So, have a merry and meaningful day as you and your family celebrate Christ’s birth at this sacred time of the year.

Swavel

 

 

No comments: