Monday, December 31, 2012

My Christmas Playlist Part 2 (Continued with a New Year's twist)



To every quandary there is a solution. On Christmas Day, I promised my next blog would be the remainder of my Christmas playlist, yet since today is the last day of 2012 I wanted to share some thoughts on the New Year. So, I thought I would make this article a joint venture. Here are the last five things I want to leave with you in 2012: Celebrate, reflect, belong, love, be glad…
Here we go with the final four of my Christmas playlist….


Song #4- I CELEBRATE THE DAY by Reliant K.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsPFNY4Z5t0&feature=player_detailpage

Here is a song from my son’s generation that really is a definitely make you think kind of song. Reliant K released this song in 2007, written by lead singer, Matt Thiessen, who discusses how he finds himself on New Year’s wondering why he hasn’t really changed that much from the previous year. Then he looks back at what Jesus must have been thinking when He was born and realizes all that Jesus did to give him real life, giving him reason to celebrate.

Favorite line-“And the first time that you opened your eyes did you realize that you would be my Savior”

 
Song # 3-STRANGE WAY TO SAVE THE WORLD as performed by 4HIM.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEN3wNWM1eE&feature=player_detailpage

This is a unique song that I fell in love with soon after it came out in 1993. It was written by Mark Harris, who is a member of the Christian Contemporary group, 4HIM. This is a favorite because the song is a father’s take on the wondrous event of Jesus being born. So often Joseph is overlooked when we talk about the Christmas story, but since he was the head of the family it is important to get his perspective as well. The song is about contemplation and how it couldn’t have made any sense to Joseph, when He looks at Mary, the babe lying in a manger and the message the angel delivered to him. Yet, he goes along with God’s plan, anyway. Like Joseph, we should all reflect on God’s ability to do the impossible.
Favorite line-“But Joseph knew the reason; love had to reach so far”

 
Song # 2-MERRY CHRISTMAS as performed by Third Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dy8RW6aHXWQ

The thought of having a family is not lost on me. I don’t think of it all the time, but there was a moment in my life when I thought I had lost my entire family. If it were up to me everyone should have one. In 2006, Brad Avery, member of the band, Third Day, wrote this beautiful song about the long wait till he and his family could finally call their adopted daughter, from China, theirs.. For me, being a father of two daughters born in China, this song deeply resounds in my heart and soul. It is good to belong.
Favorite line-“It’s Christmas time again and now you’re home, your family is here so you will never be alone”

 
Song #1- TENDER TENNESEE CHRISTMAS as performed by Amy Grant.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3sQjaek-5jA

This is my all-time favorite Christmas song because more times than not, it is what my family plays when we open the gifts. Ironically, I live in Pennsylvania, not Tennessee, but this tune always makes me feel right home. And nobody seems to set the mood, at least for me, better than Amy Grant, who wrote this song with her then husband, Gary Chapman in 1983. When Amy Grant plays, it’s like she’s sitting in my living room singing just for me and my family and you just know it’s time to open the gifts. You can just feel the love of family in the air.
Favorite line-“Where the love circles around us, like the gifts around the tree.”

 
As we begin 2013, I have  two words for you - be glad. It was amazing to me as I compiled the videos from you tube, that correspond with this list, how difficult it was to find videos that did not have a negative commentary attached to them. Yet, I am encouraged, in a world that can seem cruel at times, that I am only accountable for the actions and words that I express.

So, with that thought in mind, I will leave you with a non-Christmas video entitled GOOD TO BE ALIVE by Jason Gray:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83R-XQhDUWg&feature=player_detailpage

In this New Year may we all find something  to be glad about.

Swavel

 

No comments: