Friday, May 24, 2013

Making Good Sense

"I don’t like to make sense all the time.  Making sense is no fun." (My son quoting me on Facebook)

This blog is in response to the quote above that my son attributed to me weeks ago and then said, “I’m sure my dad can explain.”  So, here goes….

Just for the record, I don’t mind making sense, however, it tends to be a struggle. Saying whatever comes to mind tends to be what I naturally do. It's a struggle to censor everything I say. Here is an example of something I normally would say without being filtered:

Cows have best friends.  This conversation happened a few Saturdays ago when my family was having a game night where my nephew, Eric, was present. Consequently, I started the conversation off with this thought.

The quote "Cows have best friends," comes from a Christian radio host named Brant, who is known for saying random things. He stated that he had no point or agenda, just that he read this in an article and the survey was done by a college somewhere. It made sense to me, "cows have best friends" and when they are separated, they get lonely.  

Trees can talk to other trees. This is a little nugget that my nephew, Eric, shared with me; in response to my "cows have best friends" comment. He is a lot like his Uncle Aaron and tends to say what he is thinking, to which I related immediately. After I asked him to explain, he said that trees can communicate with each other through their root system. Trees talk to each other – how cool!

Cockroaches can live without a head. This is a cool, yet gross fact and how I responded back to my nephew, Eric, after the talking tree comment. Being an ex-exterminator this is a random fact I always have in my hip pocket. This is a fact that I heard repeatedly being an exterminator and people enjoyed sharing with me on the off chance that I was unaware.

Now it’s time to make sense again. Here is a list of personal things, not comprehensive might I add, that make sense to me:

Being a dad. A few weekends ago while I was at a WaWa convenience store, I saw a guy wearing a black hat with bold letters emblazoned on it. Expecting to see NYPD, instead I saw DAD. This makes sense to me that being a DAD matters and is so important that I better not screw this up.

Being a husband. This completely makes sense to me and has since the day I took my vows some twenty-four years ago. In my opinion, a man needs to lead, provide security, and love his wife without reservation. I am still learning, but my wife is worth the effort every single day. 

God knows better than I do.  A weekend or so ago, my family and I encountered something odd. We were walking along the beach, when everything turned considerably darker. It was so noticeable that we all commented on it. When we looked up, there was a lone cloud (a very thick cloud considering the light difference) covering the sun. In moments, the sun broke free. It made me feel quite small and so not in control. If God can create the world in six days, who am I to question Him and the power at His disposal.

So, back to answering the quote Jordan attributed to me. 

 "I don’t like to make sense all the time."  Paying attention to my every word takes considerable effort for me. However, with that being said, if I want others to take me seriously I must put in the time whether I like it or not. My history has been one of not being taken seriously and I believe that because I say what comes to mind. Simply put, as an adult I need to make sense more times than not.

"Making sense is no fun." This simply is a dumb statement that I made off the cuff.  I am working on putting my brain in gear first, before my mouth responds. However, old habits are hard to break and I’m still working on that. As my son reminded me the other night, just saying whatever comes to mind has it consequences. 
 
In closing, if I could retract what I said, this is what I would say instead:  Making good sense is always worth the effort.

Swavel

No comments: