Friday, June 7, 2013

Cracked Mug



Nothing lasts forever, however many of us live as if we are the exception to this rule.

 




Nothing lasts forever is far easier said than done.  Case in point, I use a ceramic Starbucks mug every morning to drink my coffee at work.   It is the perfect size that fits my hand just right and has become a part of my daily routine. The other ceramic mugs my kids gave me I display on my desk and use them sparingly, so as not to break them. 

Herein lays my quandary.  The other day while traveling through the hallway my mug suffered a most unfortunate turn of events; I dropped it. It was only a foot or so high, but it hit the floor.  Fearing for the worst, I looked for evidence that it was broken.  Upon a thorough inspection I did not find any evident cracks and thought I was in the clear. 

However, a few days later to my utter disbelief, I discovered a crack.  So, I did a quick acid test to see if it was still serviceable as I filled it with water and it held.  Then to make sure I filled it with coffee and microwaved it.  I discovered that it leaked slightly if I left it in too long.  So, although damaged I am still using it till it won’t hold anymore. 

Subsequently that crack has become my mug’s prized feature.   It is even become more symbolic to me than the Starbucks’ logo emblazoned on the side.  It reminds me of my humanness.  Newsflash--- my life is like a mug with a crack in it.  One day that crack will get the best of me and I will get put out of service. 

In my opinion, I believe we all have cracks or flaws because God wants them there, so He can get the glory.  Paul says in the Bible that he prayed to God and asked Him to remove a difficulty in his life, perhaps a flaw.  However, it was never taken away, so Paul just learned to rely on God all the more.

We are all flawed.  For instance, I can’t assemble anything to save my life.  Instructions look like gibberish to me.  For example, a few Sundays ago my friend, Dave offered to help me assemble my new propane grill that came with a fourteen step instruction manual.  Thank goodness he did help because I was starting to go into panic mode. However, with his help we had it assembled forty five minutes later.

Just to be clear having a crack like a mug is far different than being cracked like an egg.  For instance, the other day I accidentally dropped a bag which was holding a carton of eggs.  Although it was only a foot off the ground I made a mess breaking six of them and immediately had to throw them away. 

In life, I have come across people who feel as worthless as those cracked eggs and believe they have no value anymore.  Instead I believe we are more like a cracked mug that is still of great service.  The point being I will take my crack in my mug and learn to use my flaws, like Paul did to honor God.

Do your best and forget the rest, cracks and all.

Swavel

No comments: