Thursday, December 19, 2013

Fa La La

Making merry, in a responsible manner, is never a waste of time.

It was just the other day that I heard Deck the Halls and got to wondering what the phrase Fa La La means.   The only answer that makes sense to me is that it’s a made up word or possibly it was a phrase used back in its day in its day to express merriment.

Fa La La reminds me of a word like peanut butter or watermelon I used to use back in my choir days when I forgot the appropriate words.   Try it sometime it works, but it is best to mouth it, so no one is any the wiser.  Subsequently, uttering the word Fa La La sounds like a filler word to me. 

So, basically we may never know for sure why they used the word Fa La La in this classic Welsh song made popular in the 1770’s.  However, in my opinion, they were just making it up as they went along and it stuck. 

For whatever reason, Deck the Halls is a great song for carolers in top hats to sing that doesn’t have to make complete sense to convey the true spirit of Christmas cheer.

The words fa la la la la la la la la are the perfect remedy for any foul mood.”

Swavel


 

No comments: