Friday, April 25, 2014

The T-Shirt


In life, lots of little moments go into making the big ones.

Dark chocolate can best be described as mildly bittersweet.  Subsequently, this time of the year leaves me feeling that way. The reason is my oldest daughter, Alisha Erin, would have been twenty one yesterday on April 24th, except for the fact that she changed her permanent address to heaven when she was seven.

Awkward, painful, and difficult used to sum up how I felt at this time of the year.  However, yesterday morning I found myself eating a Hershey’s special dark chocolate bar at 7a.m. feeling mildly bittersweet. Whenever you lose a child and their birthday rolls around you feel it. Try as you may, you feel it, coming and going. April 24th is that way for me, although in the past few years I have found that the pain is fading.

This year I found myself pleasantly reminded of a story about my daughter, Alisha.  A month before she died she was playing in a youth basketball league at the YMCA.   She loved to play, but it was not her sport. The closest she came to scoring was when she hit the rim, and then I believe the ball hit her in the face. She had no clue, but loved doing her own thing.. Yet she would run around proudly with her gray t-shirt on with the number 4 on the back.

So, the next year when I came back to coach my son’s team I got into a conversation with another coach and my daughter came up in conversation.  I mentioned her death and he extended his sympathies and then asked what she liked best about basketball?  He interjected, was it the rules or running the plays?  No, I responded, “it was the t-shirt.” In hindsight I believe she just wanted to belong. Her brother had a shirt when he played and she wanted one, too.

I believe Alisha’s basketball t-shirt made her feel good about being part of something.  I can still see her in my mind’s eye with her brilliant blue eyes and long flowing brown hair with her deep raspy voice giggling, as she ran up and down the court with her sneakers flashing red lights with each step.  Alisha Erin had no five year plan or long term agenda in mind; she was simply just living life.

It’s crazy, but so many times we don’t live our life like someone who is enjoying the moment.  I know I have spent too much time yelling and taking life too seriously.  However, as mildly bittersweet as the t –shirt story is, it reminds me that Alisha lived her life like a washrag, and that she wrung every last drop out of it.  May we all do the same?

It is good to enjoy this life, like your favorite t-shirt knowing that someday it will wear it.

Swavel

 
 

No comments: