Friday, August 15, 2014

Prepaid


No need to panic because every now and then we all feel like Amelia Bedelia

“I can’t believe I just did that.”  That was my first thought when I prepaid for fuel at gas pump # 6 the other week at the local mini mart, only to discover an hour later I had forgotten to fuel up.  My mind had simply revolted as it was a classic case of being over tired.  After an extra-long day at work I had gone into the gas station with coffee on my mind, prepaid for the gas, jumped in my car and zoomed off toward home. 

It is always best, no matter how dumb we can feel sometimes, to try and learn from our mistakes.

So here goes, 6 THINGS I LEARNED FROM PUMP #6:

1-Don’t be defined by dumb.  Just don’t let yourself to go there.  Moments after I realized my transgression my ten year old daughter, who was in the car at the time, offered up this advice, “Dad, it’s not the end of the world.” The fact is she was absolutely right.

2-Foolish things have value.  This is something I love about God.  The Bible says that God likes to use the foolish things of this world for his benefit.  My perceived foolishness reminds me that without God I can nothing and he can redeem even the silliest thing I do. 

3- Could be worse.  That same night I was listening to the Phillies ‘game on the radio when I was making the drive back to the gas station.  Pitcher Cliff Lee had just thrown a pitch when he started shaking his head and pointing at his elbow. Seconds later the trainer came out and Lee was done for the night and is now on the disabled list.  At least my inconvenience didn’t cause me any physical pain.

4-Fess up as soon as you can.  People lie way too much and often I think when you tell someone the truth it refreshingly catches them off guard.  When I called the gas station I identified myself as pump#6 and then admitted it was my entirely fault.  In response they were very gracious and allowed me to come get the fuel I had prepaid for hours earlier. 

 5- Keep the receipt.  It is always good to have proof that you did what you said you did.  It also gave me creditability with the gas station if necessary. People would like to take your word for it, but nowadays we just don’t know everyone we come across anymore.  Documented proof keeps everything on the up and up and keeps people from yelling less.

6- I’m grateful for the ultimate pre-pay. Now, I know what I did the other day can sound rather silly, but bear with me.  There are so many of us who are driving along in life with tanks that are on empty.  All we need to do is trust Jesus with our lives because He is the ultimate pre-pay.  Jesus prepaid on the cross some two thousand years ago for our sins and all we need to do is cash in on it, by repenting and following him.

A full tank of gas is nice, but it is better to be full of grace to others along life’s journey.

Swavel

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: