Thursday, August 28, 2014

Yawn Away



Better to be tired from accomplishing everyday important things than to be wide awake and just existing.

By no means am I doctor, so take what I about to say with a grain of salt.  According to the Wall Street Journal yawning is good; it cools off your brain and keeps it at an optimal working temperature. Just saying that makes me feel so much better.  The reason being is I am a guy who gets up too early and does my fair share of yawning. 

Here are some believed to be true facts about yawning:

-People tend to yawn when they see someone else do it.
-Tends to occur more in the summer.
-A yawn can keep our brain alert during stressful situations.
-Air conditioning can cause yawning to decrease.
- Yawning can occur as often in the AM as in the PM.
-The typical yawn last about six seconds.
 
It is also a fact that people yawn at the strangest times.  For example, people about to make a speech or a parachutist about to jump out of an airplane or Olympic athletes about to compete have all been caught yawning.

Yawning has always been an annoying habit I can’t seem to shake. Seems to me I must do it every night, despite how much I fight it.  If I am really tired I even do a strange air puffing thing instead of a yawn. 

People seldom look at yawning as a good thing; rather a cue that they are boring or that maybe they should leave now. So, the other day when The Wall Street Journal considered it a good thing I took this as encouraging news. If for no other reason that one of my faults can be explained by the fact that at least I am using my brain.

Now, I know this sounds foreign to most of us because yawing seems like an indicator and it very well may be.  But in my opinion, many times yawning is a good indicator that we are trying to do too much or have done too much and it’s just time to call it quits for the night.

One last thought on yawning or any habit people have that annoys us.  Maybe we should put ourselves in their shoes before we judge them because who knows what crazy life they may be living. Remember, people could do a lot worse than annoy you, just watch the evening news.

What a concept: as you yawn away you are air conditioning your brain.

Swavel

 

 

No comments: