Thursday, October 9, 2014

Just Right

 

In life, like on vacation, simplicity often gets mucked up by expectation.

We all have must have lists in our heads.  In my opinion the underlying thought of vacationers,   home buyers, soon to be brides, kids at Christmas, etc. is: “if you give me what I want I’ll be happy.” 

My family and I visited the Jersey Shore just a week ago, the last weekend of September.  The following is a makeshift must have list I had in my head in order to have a perfect vacation:

-Motel with an ocean front view

- Dolphins jumping amidst the waves

- Sun bright, not blinding

-Waves breaking just right

- Ships a plenty sailing in the ocean distance

- Seagulls on telephone poles

- 80 degrees or so

- Sunny, not cloudy

- The smell of salt in the air, but not overwhelming

- My wife to catch something in the crane game

- Special coffee from the unique coffee shop

- Not to lose anything of value

- Ride the go-karts beating all family members

- Outdoor pool warm at the motel for the kids

- Riding a four passenger bicycle together with my family

- Just enough people for shops to be open, but not overcrowded

- Enough socks for the weekend

- My son from Iowa to join us for the weekend

- Everybody having fun

 

All my requests were plausible, right?  Well, not really. Point is we all expect way too much.

With that in mind, a little reality check seems to be in order.  The following are two exceptional examples that helped to rein me back in and gain the proper perspective.

First example- The other day a good friend of my wife and I posted one of her husband’s favorite scripture passages on Facebook.  It was Matthew 9: 25-26 which speaks basically of not worrying about the cares of this life, but instead trusting God to take care of us.  Worrying about uncertainty will just wear you out. Making this even more profound is that her husband changed his address to heaven six months ago. Now that’s some real perspective. 

Second example- On the last day we were at the shore I met a guy in orange shorts on the beach talking about his experiences of being a missionary.  He was a tall man in his late sixties, balding, very forthright and with little thought of impressing me.  He spoke of living by faith in impoverished countries like Africa, India, and China.   He spoke of people being healed and other acts of God and living according to what God wants, not what we want.  I left our conversation thinking that success is a matter of being obedient to God, not just striving to be comfortable.   Now my reality check is complete. 

For the record, the day my family and I left the ocean, the weather was overcast, one ship was on the horizon , and a dolphin or two were jumping amidst the fairly calm waves.  I’ll take it. 

Just right is an illusion I chase that robs me of the joy that God has in store for me today. 

Swavel

No comments: