Saturday, October 25, 2014

Yes Can Do

Every person is the born with the ability to do something worthwhile, if only he takes the chance.

Just an observation, but it has become apparent to me in my 46 years of life that we all can do a lot if we put our minds to it.  However, there is also lot we perceive we can’t do and for some odd reason we far too often judge ourselves by that.  An old song by Hall and Oates, called, “No Can Do” tends to sum up how many of us do life.

The following is a list of things I can’t do:

-Can’t swim underwater

-Can’t dance

-Can’t type without looking at the keys. 

-Can’t do a fundraiser to save my life

-Can’t relive yesterday

-Can’t do anything right at times

-Can’t do anything of eternal significance without God’s help

-Can’t stay awake after 9 pm without nodding off a bit

-Can’t handle the pain at times

-Can’t help but get lost when driving to an unfamiliar location

 

The following is a list of things I can do:

-Can give free bug advice to those who need it

-Can die to myself daily

-Can do my best to be less annoying

-Can try to empty myself of all but love on my wife first and then my kids

-Can try to improve everyday

-Can be more helpful than hurtful

-Can pick up family and friends from the airport

-Can live today to the best of my ability

-Can make chocolate Swavels (homemade shakes) for family and friends

-Can be there for someone when they need me to be there

 

With that being said, several months ago someone very dear to me asked if I could do something that was on my can’t do list. Normally I would have politely declined because this request was far outside my comfort zone.  However, I was willing to risk the embarrassment since the person asking was someone very special.  Not to mention, I was filling in for someone else who was very exceptional in their own right and couldn’t rightfully fulfill the unique role at hand.  However in the end, yes can do won out, and it turned out to be an extraordinary moment I will always cherish.  One I will never forget and a beautiful opportunity for both of us to shed happy tears.

Another can’t on my list I had to shed was the one that says, can’t handle the pain at times.  Many years ago, for a prolonged period of time, pain ruled my life and I wore it.   I didn’t have a love for life and possessed an “I don’t care” kind of attitude.  Problems arise when can’t turns into won’t try and life becomes colored with agony.  People certainly stop calling you up and asking to do things for them or with you. Never buy into the lie you can’t do anything right, that is just the pain talking.

Thankfully, that mentality has worn off.  If it hadn’t I would have missed out on so much, including the above mentioned shedding of  happy tears. My point is that when someone in your life needs you to do something for them, even if it is not your strong suite, strongly consider doing it any way.

No can do is turned into yes can do when love motivates us be compassionate over comfortable.

Swavel

 

No comments: