Saturday, February 21, 2015

Head Shot

 

To be on our game is always preferred over being off kilter

We live in a world where routine is king.  Since we are creatures of habit if we get knocked out of sync it throws us for a loop.

This past week was such a week as I had a head cold that had me going thru tissues like there was no tomorrow and sleeping a lot.  During my illness my eldest daughter and I were talking about getting hit in the face.  It was then that I shared an occasion when I had received a head a shot.  It was my favorite dumb story of me during my teen years, of how at the time I thought I was so cool and invincible.  

The story goes like this.  I was in high school volleyball class with a chip on my shoulder, when   I played a lot of so-called volleyball at my church youth group and though I was all that.  Then one day in gym class reality reared its ugly head as l found myself across the net from a football player.  We both went up for a disputed ball at the net, he went to spike and me to block.  However, being the idiot I was, I put up both hands like I was signaling for a touchdown.  He took advantage of my ineptitude and   appropriately knocked me down with a spike that separated me from my glasses.    Leaving me in a heap dazed on the floor and my glasses in two separate pieces careening across the floor.  Unfortunately for him his girlfriend yelled at him, me I felt I got what I had coming to me.

This also reminds me of another time when I was on a youth group trip at the age of fifteen.  We were in Colorado at Rocky Mountain national Park in late summer.  The cool thing was that in Colorado with the high altitude you can have snow up toward the summit.  So, we were having a snowball fight when a girl about  my age hit me right in the ear with one.  Like a pansy, I went to the car.   Later, due the altitude a I got sick and won’t elaborate, but I let a little piece of white stuff get me down.

So, what is the lesson here?  Like a head cold or head shot form a volleyball or snowball initially we get stunned, and then knocked on our keister.  Then we have time to reflect.  Recently with my head cold, while taking a nap I took time to pray and ask God what he wanted me to do with my life right now.  It helped, at least for me, to. do a little spiritual inventory and focus on what truly matters again.

Minus the headache there is nothing like a head shot to help clear you thought.
 
Swavel
 

No comments: