Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Push Through

Image result for curt schilling bloody sock photo 
 
In a perfect world there would be no pain, however we don’t live in a perfect world.

Here are a few simple facts about pain.  It is messy. It hurts.  It is unavoidable. We all struggle with it.  Pain if monitored can be an excellent motivator.

Regardless of age, we all like to complain about aches and pains, usually pertaining to our body.  To name a few examples: pain in the back, pain in the neck, pain in the shoulder, pain in the ankle. Speaking of the latter, who can forget about Curt Schilling and his epic bloody sock?  It was about ten years ago during a pivotal playoff game when the Boston Red Sox hurler pitched  the game on an ankle with torn ligaments and won the game.  His effort helped to propel the Red Sox on to their first World Series Championship in eighty six years.

However how noble it was for Shilling to push through his physical pain to win a baseball game, mental and emotional pain can be far worse.  In his book, The Problem of Pain, C. S. Lewis makes this profound statement.  God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain…

In my own personal experience I have struggled with such pain in extreme fashion.  In one of the toughest moments of my life I had to choose whether to take someone, whom I loved more than myself, off of life support or not.  Talk about a world of emotional pain and unrest.  Such is when you must struggle with a broken heart, yet God can use it if you let Him.

Since pain can motivate or debilitate, what is the alternative to pain? The apostle Paul said, our goal is to please him. As believers we should be striving to do things that please God not pain Him.  Sadly, we often have our own agenda, something I know well since I am a chief offender.   But, I am trying to embrace this thought: God is with me, not against me.  I need to intentionally be a pleasure to God, not someone who causes him to turn away because it hurts too much to watch.

We can choose to push through the pain or to be overwhelmed by it.

Swavel

No comments: