Saturday, May 21, 2016

Seize The Day



Image result for cartoon picture of someone afraid
    
In the journey of life, fear does not make a good co-pilot.
 
If seizing the day is such a great idea then why are we, like Scooby-Doo and Shaggy, all so afraid?

Let’s be honest, we all have invisible lists in our heads.  Thoughts of things we would rather avoid that confront. Here is a list of some that come to mind….

*Will I ever be good enough?
*What if I lose my job?
*What if those I care about stop loving me?
*What if those I love die or leave me?
*If people really knew me, would they accept me or run?
*What if people found out I really didn’t know what I was doing?
*Will I ever really achieve something worthwhile?
*Will I ever get my act together?
*What if I can’t keep up with life?
*Fear of the unknown
*What if I lose control?

Instead of compiling such lists, I think we should rather compose a letter to fear dismissing it.  Such as the following:

Dear Fear,
We are so through.  Go away and don’t EVER come back.   I am so done with you.
Sincerely, Me
 
We tend to focus on the wrong, and more times than not, is the death of us. Too many of us live in constant fear and this is not a healthy or wise way to live.  Jesus said, “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” 

The attitude to have rather that following fear is that of seizing the day or carpe diem to be precise.  This Latin phrase was originally used by the Roman poet, Horace, approximately two thousand years ago.  It is a no nonsense statement that says get out of my way.  

So, with that said, we should live intentionally and never plan to give into fear.  Simply tell fear adios and then leave no return address.

When faced with fear, seize the day, rather than seize up.

Swavel




No comments: