Sunday, June 12, 2016

How Fast





Where are we all going in such a hurry?

We live in a society where so many of us think we should have had it done yesterday.

The other week I was doing some bathroom reading at work and discovered something profound.  On the front cover of a car magazine it read: HOW FAST?

This phrase comes up often in life. How fast is asked when referring to a new car or the speed of one’s internet services or a boss pressing his employees to get their work done and beat the looming dead line.  In our culture, how fast seems to be a mantra that permeates our everyday existence. 

However, for me how fast causes me to make mistakes.  Three times, in the last month, I accidentally locked my keys in my work truck. The one time I broke in myself, one time a female police officer broke in for me and the last time my wife and two neighbors helped my break into my truck.
  
Not to mention, I also forget to lock the back of my truck from time to time, and the door precariously swings open while I am driving in traffic.  Then nice, kindhearted drivers slow down and honk at my and wave yelling, did you know your door is open?!  How embarrassing.  And the reason is that it’s my entire fault.  I was trying to do too much in too little time.

Slow down, take a deep breath and relax a little.  Advice I offer to you and myself, but unfortunately seldom heed.  Blood flows better to our brain when we are less stressed and more relaxed in our own skin.

How fast is fast enough?  The question, though rhetorical, can only be answered by each and every individual each day. 

But, the very God who made us even believed in taking a break to reflect, when He created the world in six days, and on the seventh rested.  If God does things with purpose, yet still takes his time, shouldn’t we all attempt be more clear and less befuddled. 
   
How fast is not what we need to pursue, but rather we should focus on doing things that are more pleasing to our Maker.

Swavel

No comments: