Saturday, June 26, 2010

Temporary Inconvenience

Have you ever felt like you could never catch a break? I certainly have. There are certain times when life ‘just happens’. Far too often though, we allow little problems to grow because of the inconvenience that it poses us.

About three years ago, during the summer, our dryer gave up the ghost. It was frustrating because we had no extra money, so we simply hung our clothes out on the line. At work, several days later, someone was offering a free very used dryer. We had already set a date to pick up the dryer when someone learned of our situation and offered to get us a new one. We told them we had it taken care of, but they encouraged us to take their offer instead. A very much appreciated act of kindness.

This summer my family and I were in a similar predicament, but this time it was our washer. Again, funds were low and I felt exasperated. A few days later, I found a reasonably priced used washer from an appliance store that would deliver and then remove the broken one. The evening before the scheduled delivery, my parents remembered our old washer was still stored in their basement from our move eight years prior. A friend, who used to work for an appliance store, overheard the conversation and offered to help out with the delivery. Once again, things worked out.

It doesn’t always happen this way, but in these two instances I was privileged to receive an unexpected blessing. There have been many other situations like these, but if I look at it honestly, they are simply minor inconveniences on my way through life. Yet, the fact that I am fortunate enough to have appliances that need replacement is a blessing. Perhaps, I should take the focus off myself and realize how much I truly have.

I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street; I met a man who had no feet. ~ Ancient Persian saying

Swavel

No comments: