Friday, June 4, 2010

Laugh a Little

Sometimes life can feel overwhelming and you can’t seem to shake the frustration. So, if you are going through a tough time, sounds like you need a laugh.

Several years ago, I went to a maze made out of cardboard boxes hosted by a local youth center with my son and some extended family. So picture this, me, a thirty-four year old, two hundred and thirty pound man stuck in the catcher's position in a maze built for adolescents. It was pitch black and I was wedged in the one wooden area of the maze with no where to go. To make matters worse, there was a long line of people asking, "What's the hold-up?" Then somewhere in the darkness I overheard, “There's a big guy stuck and he can’t get out.” Then I hear, “Hey, there’s a big guy stuck....there’s a big guy stuck....there's a big guy stuck,” echoing all the way to the end of the line. Even with this peer pressure, I couldn't free myself.

So after what seemed an eternity, probably more like five or ten minutes, the leader of the event loudly announced, “Aaron, don’t worry we’re coming in to get you.” They should of just shot me and been done with it. As they were sending a guy in to get me out, I could hear the laughter of my so called friends and family. Good news, I eventually got free; bad news, I couldn’t retrieve my pride.

Perhaps we can all learn from Abraham Lincoln, "With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."

Swavel

Man vs Quad: Good news, my stitches are gone and now it's onto therapy.

3 comments:

Jordan Swavely said...

Oh such great memories. Of course I could tell you that I enjoy rehearing about this story in person, since I'm fifteen feet from you, but it is easier to type it online

Bob said...

Nice job, Aaron.It's a good thing I wasn't following you or it would have been a train wreck. They would have had to knock that maze down.

Lori said...

Aaron, you know what would have made this story a little better (not that it isn't good) How about some quotes from the friends and family? LOL