Sunday, May 30, 2010

True Valor

When I think of Memorial Day the word valor comes to mind. This word best describes someone who possesses exceptional courage when facing danger. A certain soldier who served in World War I comes to mind and of whom former President Ronald Reagan paid special tribute to in his first Inaugural Address:

Under one such marker lies a young man, Martin Treptow, who left his job in a small town barbershop in 1917 to go to France with the famed Rainbow Division. There, on the western front, he was killed trying to carry a message between battalions under heavy artillery fire.

We are told that on his body was found a diary. On the flyleaf under the heading, "My Pledge," he had written these words: "America must win this war. Therefore, I will work, I will save, I will sacrifice, I will endure, I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the issue of the whole struggle depended on me alone."


In my opinion, our country remains great because of men and women who gave everything to keep this country free. May none of us forget their sacrifice and may none of us ever be willing to do less than our utmost to keep our country great. Perhaps such valor shouldn't be so uncommon in our everyday lives.

I will leave you with a quote from the Revolutionary War hero, Nathan Hale, who spoke these words before he was hung by the British for being a spy, "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country."

Swavel

Man vs Quad: The last days have been better and I look forward to visiting the doctor tomorrow.

No comments: