Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Relax

When I want to forget all about life's problems I go to the kitchen, open up the freezer and begin to create something I call a 'Swavel'. Nothing else seems to matter as I relax and find myself lost in my own little world.

The process is slow and tedious. Every stroke is measured and defined. Often, like a craftsman I stop to check the texture of my product. Time is not a factor when one is attempting to create a masterpiece. It is a simple thing anyone could do, yet it is a source of identity for me.

The ingredients are a follows: chocolate ice cream, milk, and a host of toppings such as chocolate bits, jimmies, bananas, pretzels or whatever your heart desires.

I use a bowl, several cups, milk and a tablespoon for stirring. But, the most important component of a 'Swavel' is the continual twisting of the frozen concoction and constant scrutiny to make sure the texture and taste are just right. Without the proper stirring I would just be wasting my time.

It was the summer of 1988 in a kitchen outside of Altoona, PA where I made my first 'Swavel'. Something struck me to create. First, I scooped chocolate ice cream into several large glasses, then I poured the milk into the glasses and started to stir it by hand. The most difficult part was the pushing and twisting of the ice cream to loosen it, while occasionally adding milk to make the stirring easier. Like an artist, when he lands his first strokes on a naked canvas, a rush of euphoria overcame me as my creation came to life before my very eyes. A rare moment of unadultered joy.

This process reminds me of how God stirs within our souls as He continues to make us a work in progress. God is taking His time, which involves waiting, pouring in the right amount of milk, adding ingredients, and stirring occasionally till the mixture is just right. So, often the work God does in our lives is slow, tedious, and sometimes painful but the end result is something beyond what we could have ever imagine. Relax God knows what He is doing.

When I am dead and gone I believe the 'Swavel' will be my legacy. But, I wouldn't have it any other way, I am an artist with a spoon.

Man vs. quad: This makes two early mornings in a row that the quad has disturbed my sleep, but this time I had a pain pill waiting for it. Evidently, the quad is grafting since it has been reattached back to my knee and some moments are better than others. Don't count the man out yet.

Feel free to post any bug questions and I will do my best to answer them. As always perhaps we can share more next time.

Swavel

3 comments:

Amy G said...

I haven't had a Swavel in about 12 years...it's sounding tasty right now.

Sorry to hear about your surgery--when do you expect to be fully recovered?

Swavel said...

Sounds like you've been 'Swavel' deprived. Come on up and get one.
Doctor's estimate is about two months, give or take.

Emily Swavely said...

Everyone says hi! Get better soon! ~ Emily and the rest of the Aburt-ians from the North (yes, dad helped with that) Ice cream sounds really good right now...