Friday, March 7, 2014

Ashtray Solution

 

“Don’t mock it, till you try it.”
 
Some things in life make little or no sense.  No matter how hard you try to figure it, certain things just work.
 
 For example, currently the heater fan at times  in my 1997Olsmobile  will suddenly stop working.  All I do is open the ashtray and slam it quickly shut until the yellow light comes on and I have heat again. Hence, the ashtray solution.  Allow me to explain.
 
Sometime during the past summer I discovered that the fan that controls the air conditioner and the heater stopped working.  Strangely, however my bipolar fan would kick back on periodically on its own. 
 
To make sure this wasn’t too big a problem I called my mechanic and he said that it was an electrical problem that was hard to diagnose and use it till the fan dies.    So, I just put up with this scenario and decided to wait it out.
 
It was sometime in early December when I stumbled upon the  ashtray solution.  I needed my defroster to work so I could clear my front windshield of ice.  In an act of frustration I quickly opened and then slammed my ashtray shut.  Somehow I thought it might work, like when you hit the dash in your car to convince the c d player to stop skipping, and to my surprise it did.  Truly, it was a McGyver moment. 
 
Then at Christmas time my electrical engineering son was home from college.  He took a look and said he knew what the problem was, but didn’t have the equipment to tear my dash apart properly.  With that being said I didn’t want to stretch my luck too far and I set up a appointment with a mechanic to get properly fixed.
 
So, I said all that to tell you that two months after it was fixed I hit a pothole and the heater died again.  So I am back to using the ashtray solution again.  Go figure, it works so why fight it.
 
In my life, I have discovered when things go wrong it always better to laugh than cry and if the opportunity presents itself, slam the ashtray shut real quick.
 
Swavel
 

No comments: