Saturday, March 22, 2014

Slightly Confused

   

 

Good intentions are not always enough, so always have a good apology at the ready.

Confession is good for the soul, so here goes.  At times I get slightly confused. 

This can be aptly summarized by a moment that happened several years ago in my work parking lot.   A friend had told me he had some second-hand clothes for my daughter and that all I needed to do was go into his Honda Civic and take the bag of clothes.

On that particular day my friend was preoccupied with work, so I went looking for his Honda on my own.  I opened what I thought was my friend’s car, but to my chagrin I could not find the bag.  So, I began to rummage through his car.

Then out of nowhere, I was startled by an angry voice of an employee I did not know.  He was reprimanding me for going through his car and threatened to call security to apprehend me.   Feeling embarrassed, dumbfounded and slightly confused, quickly I started to apologize.  Seeing that I was in a dire predicament I tried in vain to explain that his Honda Civic generally fit my friend’s description.  

In an attempt to diffuse the already volatile situation I looked for a witness to help validate my point of view.  Fortunately I found a receptionist who had seen the whole disaster though her window and she substantiated that I was telling the truth. Soon afterward the frustrated employee relented and left the scene.

Now, when I look back at my parking lot debacle it makes me chuckle. I may be slightly confused at times, but it is great reminder that regardless of the gaffe I can still laugh at myself.  

Better to be slightly confused and have a sense of humor, than to be angry with none at all.

Swavel

 

 

No comments: