Monday, June 2, 2014

Breathing Happiness


Happiness is a choice.

Kids say the darnedest things. Just a week or so ago my dentist was relaying a story to me, while fitting me for a crown.  During the procedure I was asked if I wanted anesthesia and when I declined it triggered her memory.  She said there was once a little girl patient she administered laughing gas to and described it like this: breathing happiness. That got me to thinking.

This past weekend, my family and I spontaneously decided to go to an amusement park.  As I observed people throughout the day, I noticed many folks who looked worn out, like life had gotten the best of them. The way they held themselves and the looks on their faces all seemed to scream that they were just trying to get by and make it through the day. I could sympathize since I knew the symptoms, because I once was like them.

Many years ago, I doubted I would ever be truly happy again. I was in the midst of a personal crisis and nothing seemed good at the time. Unfortunately I focused on the bad and was living a lot like Eeyore. My problem was that in response to tragedy I thought I needed to live life soberly. 

Living happily doesn’t mean you aren’t struggling, it just means you are not allowing it to run your life.  You fall down, brush yourself off, and get back up. No one wants to be around a Debbie Downer all the time. Adversity will change you, but make it be for the better.

Sometimes, when I get into a funk I try to name as many things as I can that made me happy recently. Here is some happiness I breathed in during the past week:

1- Kissing my wife. 2- Spending time with my kids. 3- Enjoying an amusement park with family. 4- Still having a job. 5- Reading baseball box scores. 6- Knowing both my vehicles are working. 7- Blogging once a week. 8- Receiving a new Starbucks mug from a friend. 9-Drinking coffee from said mug. 10- Eating Planters’ peanuts my wife got me. 11-Knowing God loves me despite me. 12-Hearing the birds sing in the morning. 13-Doing research for  fantasy football 14- Having pants that fit 15- Spending time in my nothing box

Why waste today, instead breathe in the happiness.

Swavel

No comments: