Monday, June 9, 2014

Nodding Off

 
Make up your mind to do something and then do it.
 
The term nodding off is a common one.  However, it is something that till just the other day I have never really been able to define.  My definition of nodding off is when you dip your head in agreement with someone else during a moment of urgency.
 
Here is my list of six regarding the term nodding off:
 
1 Just the other day, I was at my middle daughter’s sixth grade graduation when I saw something very relevant.  As the kids came into the auditorium from the hall they were coming in by twos   as they walked toward the center aisle.   Then they paused, then nodded to each other in agreement and then proceeded down the aisle together.  It was like ushers in a wedding, using a silent mechanism to get in sync.
 
2 Another example is when you come to a four way stop sign and both vehicles get there simultaneously.  It’s that terse moment when both drivers look at each other and then one gestures or nods their head, giving the other the right of way. Nothing spoken, much accomplished, consideration expended.
 
3 The negative connotation of nodding off is the one I do just about every night around 9 pm, while trying to watch TV with my wife. Although annoying, I believe it is the result of waking up early in the morning to go to work. Some nights, instead of falling asleep, I just go to bed.  In my mind though, I will try to fight nodding off just so I can be next to my wife.
 
4 My favorite personal example of nodding off is from when I used to play flag football with my friends.  When I used to play receiver I could just look and nod at my brother-in –law, Ed, who was the quarterback, and he knew I would get open for him. It was unsaid, but quite effective.  On one given day, the two of us used this to perfection to whoop our teenage sons in a game of two on two football.   Peyton Manning, who plays for the Denver Broncos, does something similar to nodding off when he yells OMAHA to call a play and then waves his arms around like he’s playing charades.
 
5 Parenting in many ways is a great illustration of nodding off.  When my wife and I are out with the kids in public sometimes there is no time to be verbal. A quick hand signal can alert the other spouse to leap into action.  Gestures and non-verbal skills can often be imperative between parents to keep things running smoothly.  Inmates can never run the asylum. 
 
6 Last but not least, there is the nod to God.  To me it’s pretty simple as I seek to follow Him. At times, God asks me to do something that according to human reasoning seems crazy.   God can do anything He wants, although often He requests us to nod in agreement before He performs whatever miraculous task that is at hand.  Simply stated this is called faith.
 
Nodding off is the first step in ultimately succeeding at what you set out to do.
 
Swavel

No comments: