Monday, June 30, 2014

System Trouble


Why is it when things don’t go our way we often think someone is out to get us?

More times than not, I believe most of us want to do the right thing.  We don’t want to break the law. However, sometimes abiding by the rules can be complicated.

A few weeks ago, an alarm sounded without cause when I tried to enter a building at work.  Despite all my efforts I couldn’t turn off the annoying noise. Then a message came onto the screen of the alarm that read: SYSTEM TROUBLE.  Fortunately, I was only inconvenienced and got into the building through another door.  Aptly put, however, system trouble is another way to describe situations when things aren’t going our way.

For example, while still an exterminator years ago, there was a day I was running behind and thought I would take a short cut. That shortcut cost me a hefty fine.  While in my bug truck, which was stick shift, I was driving up a hill and did a California stop.  One where you come to almost a stop but keep moving so you don’t have to use your clutch as much.

However, there was a cop sitting there and I got busted.  He waved me over to a spot behind three or four other offenders, so he could write me a ticket.  As I sat in my bug tuck the officer kept apologizing knowing the ticket would put me behind schedule.  It left me feeling frustrated and a bit jaded toward authority.

Recently, I got another citation for unintentionally parking somewhere an authority figure felt was illegal.  The only reason I was even in the town was to help someone else out, which just added to my irritation level.  My hope was  the young officer who ticketed me would show a little  mercy, nevertheless there was none in his ink.  Definitely some system trouble, no need to get a little guy like me.

Needless to the say, I was wrong. When I truly think about system trouble, I think I am my own worst enemy.  For example, the other day I couldn’t find one of my favorite pens and wasted nearly half an hour trying to find it.  Dumb me.  In that case, system trouble began with my poor mindset

What I discovered that day was when I deem it worthy I don’t mind wasting time.  However, when someone or something cost me time or money it often infuriates me.  Then on top of it, I often waste time complaining about it and let it rule my thoughts.  A friend once said if we got a ticket every time we drove illegally, we’d all be broke.  He was right.

 As long as there are humans there will always be some kind of SYSTEM TROUBLE

Swavel

No comments: