Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Comfort Zones


--From June 20th--
Just another day in our life outside of our comfort zone. Two things real quick:
1- We went to a park that looked like Whoville (kind of like Knoebels but not) and I discovered even over here in China I can confuse people. While trying to put my 2 daughters on the tractor ride the operator started frantically waving no and pointing and speaking Chinese. Frustrated I waved my back and couldn't get through to him. Just when I was about to give up, our kindly driver, Mr. Wong jumped up onto the platform, volunteered to ride with the girls and saved the day. Mr. Wong speaks only Chinese and I only English, yet what he did was such an excellent example of how actions speak louder than words.

2-Played an interesting game of Frogger in order to get supper tonight. There is a busy 10 lane or so intersection that seperates us from Subway and I thought I would give it whirl. Everyone here seems to do it without breaking a sweat , why not me. So, with much hesitation I studied the traffic patterns, then gave up and followed a guy who hap hazardardly made his way across in between a moped here and a bus there and a break in cars there. When I reached the other side as Sianna said later I should have Tebowed, but I was too busy thinking of getting Subway sandwiches. Once inside, after I was disappointed Chinese Subways don't make meatball subs I got ham, turkey and roast beef 6 inch sandwiches. After paying I scooted back across the intersection using the aforementioned shadowing technique and safely and eventually landed back at the hotel. Whew!!

Like I said before, Just another day. One last thought, I am so thankful that I serve a God that can cause man to walk on water and me to cross a crazy intersection on the other side of the world.
Swavel

No comments: